astroberry




I gave astroberry a run and I'm really happy with it. So I'm going to switch to it. I will be taking along my baggage though!


Some things that I will need to bring with me:

  • autofs so that I can automatically mount my nfs share on my main PC

    • apt update
      apt upgrade
      apt-get install emacs
      mkdir /nfs
      apt-get install autofs

      mkdir /nfs
      add "/nfs /etc/auto.nfs" to /etc/auto.master
      create /etc/auto.nfs
      add line
      observatory 192.168.247.105:/mnt/LittleBig
      ln -s /nfs/observatory 


  • being able to build / update the full software stack (if something is amiss with the distro version) 
  • Makefile here:  https://github.com/amendolajamie/kstars-clone-and-build-makefile  
    • Things I had to add for indi:
      • sudo apt-get -y install libcurl4-openssl-dev build-essential cmake git libeigen3-dev libcfitsio-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev extra-cmake-modules libkf5plotting-dev libqt5svg5-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev kio-dev kinit-dev libkf5newstuff-dev kdoctools-dev libkf5notifications-dev qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5crash-dev gettext libnova-dev libgsl-dev libraw-dev libkf5notifyconfig-dev wcslib-dev libqt5websockets5-dev xplanet xplanet-images qt5keychain-dev libsecret-1-dev breeze-icon-theme libfftw3-dev libtheora-dev libtheora0 libusb-1.0-0-dev zlib1g-dev build-essential cmake git libjpeg-dev libtiff-dev libfftw3-dev libftdi-dev libgps-dev libdc1394-22-dev libgphoto2-dev libboost-dev libboost-regex-dev librtlsdr-dev liblimesuite-dev libftdi1-dev libavcodec-dev libwxgtk3.0-dev

    • Some things that I needed to fix:

  • USB3 did not work alongside wifi -- This is almost a show stopper, but I just do the same fix that I did before -- Turn off HDMI and run a headless vnc server! Also might just us X11 port forwarding or try X2GO, but I digress
  • The fix is to add "hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1" in /boot/config.txt
    • There is still an issue when booting. If the mount is turned on then the wifi still does not connect. Need to turn them mount on after the pi has booted
      • Raising the priority of the wifi connection, and lowering the ethernet fixed the issue!
    • Some other things to try https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

    • framebuffer_width=800
      framebuffer_height=600

      [pi4]
      max_framebuffers=2

      [all]
      hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1
      gpu_mem=128
      hdmi_ignore_edid_audio=1
      hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
      hdmi_ignore_cec=1
      hdmi_blanking=1
      config_hdmi_boost=0


    • Root's crontab:
      • @reboot /usr/bin/tvservice -o
        @reboot /usr/bin/vcgencmd display_power 0

        @reboot sleep 5; /usr/bin/tvservice -o
        @reboot sleep 5; /usr/bin/vcgencmd display_power 0

        @reboot sleep 60; /usr/bin/tvservice -o
        @reboot sleep 60; /usr/bin/vcgencmd display_power 0


Some things that I'd like to add

  • gpsd connection to my cell, or dongle


Comments