AVX Mod II

 

V2:






Files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4971679

So after the previous failed attempt at improving the AVX, I decided to try again. 

This time I will attempt to improve two things:

  1. Lower RA Bearing
  2. Clutch
The AVX only has a sleeve for the lower RA bearing. I don't know for sure, but I imagine that the slop that I can feel in that bearing can cause all sorts of drift or jumps in guiding. To improve it, I'm going to add a bearing. This is easier said than done. The lower housing has space for a bearing, but there are threads in the housing that get in the way. And the housing where the bearing could fit is just under 55mm. I can't find a reasonably priced bearing to fit this, so I 3D printed a bearing housing that can screw into the lower RA -- I may machine it from aluminum later. I also 3D printed a spacer to use at the top of the shaft, and a threaded tube used to hold the whole thing in place. Finally I cut a leaf of a feeler gauge to shim the inside diameter of the bearing so that it fits tight to the shaft. I will also machine the fastener out of aluminum. I'll hopefully test it out tonight!


Ran PEC on it. Here's what I found: 


#AVX
594 0 Worm
16.9 0 Worm Tooth
80.29 0 ?
356 0 Gear A Eccentric
13.6 0 Gear A Tooth
37.6 0 Gear B Eccentric
8.66 0 Gear B Tooth
23 0 Gear C Eccentric
7.48 0 Gear C Tooth
11.2 0 Gear D Eccentric
6.56 0 Gear D Tooth


Comments