Hyperstar Backspace

 Hyperstar is also hypersensitive to backspace. 

Strangely I found that Green and Blue needed a different back space than Red even though my filters are supposed to be parafocal. It takes quite some time, but the methodical approach is the best. First I align the corrector plate, then starting with no spacer, I focus just in the center of the image, and take some photos. I add about 0.5mm of spacer, focus in the center and take a few photos. I name the directories where the photos are stored with the backspace distance and filter color. For collimation I make sure that the hyperstar is very flat using a dial gauge, then check for camera tilt. I don't have any so I then align the corrector using the SCT's adjustment screws. When all the star elongation is pointing to the center, it's aligned. I do the alignment first of course. After all of this I look at the photos in the different directories and select the spacer distance where the stars in the corners are the most perfect.


Total spacer distance between the hyperstar and camera:

  • Astronomik G / B:  11.28mm
  • Astronomik R: 13.82mm  (11.46 seems good....)
  • Baadrr Ha SII: 11.46
  • Baadrr OII: Maybe more than 11.46, try 11.75



Here's the different results:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bBFrQ6nP8yGeyFeBA

Green 10.8mm





Green 10.92mm



Green 11.10mm



Green 11.28mm 




Red 10.93mm



Red 11.54mm


Red 12.20mm


Red 13.82mm







Comments